In 2012 Museum Victoria (MV) received a Federal Government grant of $20 million to be used for the Royal Exhibition Building’s Protection & Promotion (P&P) project, made possible by the local community’s lobbying Federal Member Adam Bandt. The “Roam the Dome”project involved reinstating the derelict Dome structure for visitors to re-experience history, and importantly, to recognise the building’s place in our history as the birthplace of Australia’s parliament.
Find out more about Community response to MV’s permit application.
– lack of consultation and governance
– concern that the original intent about outcomes will not be met (no plans for the REB historical museum or interpretation of the site’s history)
– concerns about planned building works and their negative impact on heritage values
– concern about added commercial uses such as cafe and proposed kitchens in Stage 2, and the emphasis on “commercial” vs. “public access & education”
– compromise of world heritage values